Sunday, March 2, 2008

An Additional Idea

So, this has absolutely nothing to do with class, but I just finished reading The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards a few weeks ago, and the more and more I reflect on it, the more and more I find myself connecting the theme of that novel to my Big Question. The whole premise relates to forgiveness--Dr. Henry must forgive himself for the pain he has caused by lying about his daughter's death, while his family must find it within themselves to forgive him, but by that time it is too late.

The thing that struck me as interesting was how each character deals with forgiveness, or rather a lack thereof. Dr. Henry dives into his photography, Mrs. Henry creates her own business and becomes involved in many affairs, and Paul finds solace in his music. The people most affected by Dr. Henry's choices are the ones who deny the problem the most. I believe this is the case because they lost something--the daughter and sister that has Down syndrome. Caroline, however, seeks Dr. Henry throughout the book, updating him as to Phoebe's condition and life and even going so far as finding him at a showing of his photography. She confronts him about his choice and forgives him because with her Phoebe has a much better life than if she was put into an institution. Caroline gains this girl as a part of her life. So, this poses yet another question: Is it easier to forgive when you gain something than when you lose something?

I'm not sure where I am going with this right now, but I figured I might as well get my thoughts out there so I can find them later if need be. I am sure I'll post more when I think of it, this was just sort of spur-of-the-moment blogging. How exciting!

No comments: